Thursday, October 11, 2007

Web 2.0 businesses

Web 2.0 concept is related with the change on how end users use the web. Well, a more formal definition from wikipedia is: "Web 2.0 refers to a perceived second generation of web-based communities and hosted services — such as social-networking sites, wikis and folksonomies — which aim to facilitate collaboration and sharing between users"


So, Web 2.0 is about about end user experience, but what about business experience ?
This link shows a list of the 31 most important start-ups outside the United States: companies created just few years ago using the Web 2.0 concept. You can see how different their activities are, about web applications, software, social activities, ....

The company in the photo is Maxthon, that has created a browser that avoids traffic control of the Chinese government.

The only Spanish company is Tractis (it is #9 of 31). It is a company headquartered in Barcelona, that administrates, manages and signs business contracts online.

Probably some of these companies will dissapear in three years from now, but some others will make money and create jobs using the web 2.0 concept.

Maybe one of this is the next Google !!

2 comments:

Elena_P said...

This is my first comment for a post here, so first of all, I’d like to apologize to everybody for my bad English. Although I know that I will make a lot of mistakes and possibly the way of express myself is not the best one, I’m sure I will improve by practising here and, in the meantime, I will try to do it as well as I can.
Following with the topic of the use of Web 2.0 in business, I think that there is a lot of people who are skeptical about the real possibilities of building a real business seeing using this “..second generation of web-based communities and hosted services..”.
People have a general idea about what Web 2.0 is, and some of the advantages (related with the ways of software developers and end-users use the way) provided by this, but their are not familiarized themself with using it as the base of a bussines integrating social-networking aspects.
We can say that nowadays there are mainly two Web 2.0 business models: one based on technology and the other on network effects. Both are good examples of how social collaboration, Web-based applications or open services can help to grow a succesful company.
The technology focused model is based on offering something new which is not available elsewhere.This type of services are extremaly useful commonly. (We can name Flickr’s as a good example).
The network effects focused model is based on user base and user interaction, but technology here is only considered as a tool for an adecuated infrastructure to support the bussines’ concept.
Maybe, according to my point of view, the main problem here is the confidence lack in the Web 2.0 concept, perhaps because of the lack of set standars that implies that the term can mean radically different things to different peoples. A possible solution starts by making a social effort in announcing and publishing that there are many differents enterprises (based on Web 2.0) which have achieved commercial success and have a serious potential. Some examples are:
NHN’s Naver Search Engine; Amazon’s Web Services Division; IBM, Salesforce, and Microsoft Provide Self-Servicing to SMBs, etc., whose turnovers are extremately great if they are consulted.
Finally, in my opinion, I agree with Rafa’s idea about the future of those companys. Probably some of them will dissapear, but many others will make a lot of money and will adapt their services and infrastructures to the incoming concepts of enterprises and technologies.

Vanessa Tejada said...

I'm agree with you, "the main problem here is the confidence lack in the Web 2.0 concept", but I think it is a disadvantage of Web 2.0 in serveral services, for example Wikipedias. There are a lot of problems, because you can insert and edit information about something if you are registered in the webpage, I mean, how can I know if this information is true? I remember, when I wrote a memorandum about a project, Wikipedia in my bibliography is not a realiable source of information. Maybe, the concept Web 2.0 can be control beacuse people could use this service for corrupt information, instead of show us what is their knowledge.

Finally, sorry for my english. :)